Friday, March 27, 2009

Baked Chimichangas with Shredded Beef

I am a huge fan of Chimichangas and have always been afraid of making them.  But when I found this baked recipe I thought it looked doable.  And they were!

Shredded Beef
1 (1 1/2 lb) beef chuck roast
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 to 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon course ground black pepper
6 cups water

Chimichangas
9 (9 or 10 inch) flour tortillas
1 (16 oz) can refried beans
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 medium tomatoes, seeded, chopped
3 table spoons margarine or butter, melted
1/2 cup salsa
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup purchased guacamole

1. In large saucepan, combine all shredded beef ingredients.  Cover; cook over medium-high heat until mixture comes to a boil.  Reduce heat to medium; cook 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until beef is fork-tender, stirring occasionally and adding water if necessary.  (I actually cooked this in the crock pot on low for about 5 hours simply because I thought it would be easier and it worked great.)
2. Remove beef from water.  Cool 15 minutes or until easy to handle.  Shred beef.
3. Heat over to 350 degrees.  Spread 1/4 cup refried beans onto center of each tortilla.  Top with 1/2 cup shredded beef, 1 table spoon onion and 2 tablespoons tomato.  Fold sides of tortillas toward center; fold ends up.  Place, seam side down, on ungreased cookie sheet.  Brush each filled tortilla with melted margarine.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 - 40 minutes or until golden brown and thoroughly heater.  Serve with salsa, sour cream and guacamole.

1 comment:

  1. I made this last night and it was delicious!! I'm not a huge beef fan so I think I'll use shredded chicken next time, which would be equally as good (well, in my humble opinion). Thanks for the great recipe Kim!

    ReplyDelete